Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why It Really Matters

In the Clover Park School District last week, the main reader board at the district office proudly displayed an announcement about teachers who have earned National Board Certification.  We need to do more to appreciate the teachers and principals who devote their time, attention, and patience to our kids every day.  When I tell a principal that I think they deserve an award, I sincerely and truly mean it.  There is no award too big or generous for dedicated principals and teachers.  I wonder how much of a difference it might make if we took a moment each day to remember a teacher who made a difference for us?  A teacher who took the time to reach out to that rough kid that didn’t fit in?  Teachers are second only to my mom in terms of what I owe to them.  There was Mrs. Liner, my first grade teacher who put up with the surveys that I insisted on giving to each student in the class as I tried to figure out why I was the only one who knew that Santa Claus was just for fun.  In third grade, Mrs. Pearson gave me individualized math assignments and saved me from horrid boredom.  In tenth grade, Mr. Brown noticed that I had lost my Geometry protractor and gave me a new one.  These are only minor examples of a teacher doing something to encourage me.  I remember them still.  And why does it matter?  Because in a Title 1 school, these small acts can make the difference between a child who falls through the cracks, and one who goes on to excel. 
What if a poor girl came to school from a farm way out in the country (the boonies)?  Her parents can’t come to school to help and don’t have time to help her at home.  She has a lot of siblings so that’s not a big surprise.  She never has new clothes or the money to pay for her ticket for class field trips.  She’s a free lunch kid who might get on your nerves because she asks tons of questions and always needs something to do.  Yes, the story includes one of her parents eventually dying from an illness.  How will this story end?  Will we have high expectations for her?  Will she drop out of school?  Or will she go on to earn straight A’ in college and a masters degree? Are we supporting our teachers and principals so that they will be ready for her?  I hope so because that little girl was me.  Thank you Mrs. Liner, Mrs. Pearson, and Mr. Brown!  (I miss you every day mom.)
Stay tuned for information about awards that Title 1 schools can apply for.  They deserve all the awards they can get!
P.S. I spent several weeks debating on whether or not to share a personal story like this.  I came to the decision that sharing our stories about why we are passionate about our work can help all of us to become more dedicated and focused in our efforts to improve student achievement.